Problems at work

If you have problems at work you can take action to sort things out.

Getting Started 

It is best to sort things out as soon as a problem starts to stop it from getting worse. If your problem is with someone you work with, you can try to sort it out by talking it over with them. If this doesn’t work you can speak to your manager or supervisor who may be able to help.

If you are can’t sort it out by talking it over, you can make a formal complaint called a ‘grievance’. Most employers have a grievance policy or process. It might be in a staff hand book, if there is one. Or it may be part of your employment contract. If you do not have a copy of your employer’s grievance procedure ask to see it.

Your problem might be covered by:

  • the law for example if you are being discriminated against; or
  • by your employer’s policies.

Ask your supervisor or manager if there is a policy about the problem you are having.

A policy is a ‘guide to action’ which tells you:

  • who it is for; employers, employees or both;
  • what should happen and who should do it;
  • when and how things should be done; this might be called a procedure.

Read the policy or procedure papers and ask questions if you don’t understand everything.

Choose one of the nine options below to find help with:

OPTION 1 → Bullying and harassment

OPTION 2 → Discrimination

OPTION 3 → Your health and safety at work

OPTION 4 → Pay or pensions

OPTION 5 → Getting time off

OPTION 6 → Changes to my contract

OPTION 7 → Facing redundancy

OPTION 8 → Being disciplined or being sacked

OPTION 9 → Whistleblowing

Can’t find what you are looking for?

If you can’t find what you are looking for call the ACAS Helpline. The number is on the right hand side of this page, or below if you are using a smartphone.


  • Please do not use this feedback section to submit an advice query. It will not be seen by an adviser.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Copyright © Brent Advice Matters, 2020. All rights reserved.