Getting paid – lower cost action

You can do a lot to sort this out without spending money on expensive court fees.

STEP 1 — Speak to them

Speak to the person or company that owes you money.

Tell them:

  • you have evidence of the work you did and what it is;
  • you have evidence that they agreed to pay you, how much and what the evidence is;
  • the date you both agreed this;
  • the work is now done and the date you finished it;
  • the amount they owe you;
  • the date you now expect to get paid;
  • to respond to you by a particular date and tell them the date;
  • follow up the call with a letter or email.

STEP 2 — Complain in writing to them

Repeat the points of your phone call in writing.

Citizens Advice Bureau – help writing a complaint letter

Make sure you:

  • include your name and address and their name and address;
  • get proof if you post a letter from the post office;
  • keep a copy of your letter or email.

STEP 3 — Complain to a trade association

Complain in writing to a trading body. Trading bodies and professional associations set standards that their members have to work by. If the people or company that owes you money belongs to a trading body you can complain to them.

Trading Standard Institute – list of trading association

STEP 4 — Ombudsman

An Ombudsman is an independent organisation that looks into complaints about companies or other organisations. Using an Ombudsman is a way of trying to resolve a complaint without going to court.

Citizens Advice Bureau – Ombudsmen

If none of these actions work you can take it further but it is likely to cost you more money.

Getting paid –higher cost action

  • Please do not use this feedback section to submit an advice query. It will not be seen by an adviser.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Copyright © Brent Advice Matters, 2020. All rights reserved.