UK born children of non-British parents

Your child’s right to be registered as a British citizen is restricted because you were born outside the UK.

You are entitled to register your child after you or your child’s other parent

  • become a British citizen yourself, or
  • get Indefinite Leave to Remain – ILR


You are entitled to register your child as a British citizen before then if

  • your child has lived in the UK for at least 10 years of their life, or
  • your child is stateless and they have lived in the UK for at least 5 years of their life, or
  • if your child was born after 13 January 2010 and you joined the UK Armed Forces after your child was born

If you are divorced, legally separated, unmarried or a same sex couple, choose Key words and phrases below below to understand if that affects your pathway.



  1. You must pass a residency test. You must not have been outside the UK for 270 days or more in the 3 years before you apply to register your child.  Wait until you can pass the test before applying.
  2. Your application must convince the Home Office it is in the best interest of child to register them as a British citizen.


Get advice if

  • you cannot pass the residency test, or
  • you are not sure how to convince the Home Office about your child’s best interests.



Key words and phrases

Applying to register a child


Find a local adviser


Not found what you need?

Back to Immigration and Asylum



  • Please do not use this feedback section to submit an advice query. It will not be seen by an adviser.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Copyright © Brent Advice Matters, 2020. All rights reserved.