Getting proof

You need proof to sort out many immigration problems. This page is a list of some common immigration problems that you need proof to help sort out. It is in alphabetic order.

The list of proof under each heading is not full or complete. But it gives you a good idea of the type of proof you need. Get advice if you have problems getting proof.


What proof do I need for my problem?

  1. Adoption of a child
  2. Exemption from taking the Life in the UK test
  3. Exercising Treaty Rights
  4. Good character
  5. Having no ties to another country
  6. Living in the UK – lawful and continuous residence
  7. Refugees applying for British Citizenship
  8. Relationships with a child or children
  9. Relationships with a partner
  10. Removing ‘No recourse to public funds’ restriction
  11. Unreasonable to make you leave the UK
  12. Varying a visa late



  1. Proof to show you followed all the adoption rules in the country where
  • your adopted child was born, and
  • the adoption happened
  1. A notarised statement of consent from any surrogate mother who was pregnant with your child.
  2. Proof that you, your child’s other parent and your child are of good character
  3. Proof that your child was not trafficked out of one country into another
  4. Proof that it is in your child’s best interests that they are registered as a British citizen

the Government – countries covered by Recognition of Overseas Adoption Order 2013



Exemption from taking and passing the Knowledge of Life in the UK test

This is list of proof is about applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain only. Everyone has to pass the Knowledge of Life in the UK test if they want to become a British Citizen

Proof of a serious, long-term physical or mental health problem, not including being blind or deaf or having impaired vision, hearing or speech, like:

  1. Up-to-date letters or reports from a consultant doctor treating you
  2. Up-to-date letters or reports from someone in a mental health service who is in regular contact with you because of your health problem
  3. The letters or reports must say
  • what the problem is
  • that it is permanent
  • how it affects you
  • why the effect means you cannot study for and take tests.


Exercising Treat Rights

Employed partners

Employed partners must earn at least £150 a week and be able to show proof. Proof is

  • an employment contract, or
  • payslips, and
  • bank statements

Self employed partners

Self employed must show proof that their business is up and running in the UK. Proof is:

  • their business registration papers, and
  • business invoices, and
  • self-assessment tax returns, a
  • proof of National Insurance payments

Retired partners

Retired partners must show proof they have income that does not rely on public funds. Proof is

  • pension statements, and
  • income from investment and assets like a home they rent out

Students partner

Student partners must show proof they are studying in the UK. Proof is:

  • a letter from the college or university on headed paper, and
  • proof they have enough income to support themselves like bank statements or letters from people giving them money to live on


Good character

  1. Letters from people who have known you a long time, like GPs, places of worship, schools or colleges saying they know you to be a person of good character
  2. Proof of the identity and address of these people like a photo identity card, driving license or passport


Having no ties to another country

  1. Letters from relatives in other countries like parents, aunts, uncles, cousins or grandparents saying why they cannot support you, because
  • their income is too low, or
  • they have no room in their home, or
  • they cannot give you work or money
  1. Proof that your skills and education would not give you a good chance of getting work to support yourself


Living in the UK – lawfully and continuously residence


  • School reports with your child’s name and the date on
  • Letters on headed paper from the school saying when you child started at the school and how long they have been there


If you went to school, college or university in the UK proof like,

  • school, college or university reports about you
  • letters on headed paper from the school, college or university showing the dates that you went there
  • certificates showing exam or test results

GP, clinic or other medical people

  • appointment cards with your name and the dates of appointments on
  • letters on headed paper from you GP, clinic or hospital department, saying when you registered with them and other important dates


  • tenancy agreements
  • letters from your landlord or landlords, saying when you started renting your home and how long you lived there
  • proof you paid rent to a landlord, like bank statements

People who know you

  1. Letters from people like friends, relatives, and places of worship, saying
  • when they met you
  • how they have known you
  • long they know you have lived in the UK
  • their name, address, telephone number and their signature
  1. Proof of the identity and address of these people like a photo identity card, driving license or passport


  • UK bank account statements showing when you opened the accounts you have had a bank account and
  • UK credit card or loan agreements showing when you took them on
  • UK credit card or loan statements showing how long you have been paying them back


  • the passport you entered the UK with if you used one, showing when you entered
  • other passports if you have them showing when they are valid from and your travel out of and into the UK
  • if you passport has expired and you do not have another, a letter on headed paper from your embassy saying that they have not issued another passport to you
  • any other travel documents that show your travel out of and back to the UK

Work or employment

  • your tax information like P60 and P45 notices
  • payslips
  • contracts of employment or letters from your employer on headed paper
  • training certificates


Refugees applying for British citizenship

  1. Travel documents showing all the times you left the UK and returned
  2. Immigration letters showing the date that you first got refugee or humanitarian status in the UK


Relationship with a partner

  1. Your marriage certificate if you are married
  2. Letters, emails, texts and screen shots of any social media messages between you and you partner
  3. Telephone and mobile bills showing calls to your partner’s number
  4. Proof that you and your partner share the same home, like bills in both your names, a tenancy or mortgage agreement in both your names
  5. Proof that you or your partner is pregnant
  6. Proof that you and your partner have children together, like birth certificates
  7. Proof that your children live with you or your partner kids, like school admission letters on headed paper, letters from places of worship


Relationship with a child or children

  1. Letters on headed paper from your child’s school or nursery saying
  • you are the school’s official contact for your child
  • you regularly take them to school or nursery or take them home
  • you go to parents evenings or other school meetings
  1. Letters from your GP saying you take your child to appointments
  2. Letters from your child’s other parent saying you are involved in making decisions about your child and their health and wellbeing
  3. Letters, emails or cards with invitations to family events in the UK
  4. Photographs of family events in the UK showing you and your child


Removing ‘No recourse to public funds’ restriction

You need proof that this visa restriction will leave you destitute. ‘Destitute’ means you do not have enough income to feed, clothe and house yourself and any family you care for in the UK.

  1. Proof of your income like bank statements and payslips, or letters from people who support you financially
  2. Proof of the amount of money you spend on food, clothing, housing, medicines and travel. You can do a budget sheet to help you work this out
  3. Proof of any priority debt you have to pay, like taxes, rent or mortgage arrears


Unreasonable for you to leave the UK

  1. Proof you have lived in the UK for 7 years or more – look at the list under Living in the UK above
  2. Proof you have been in Social Services care in Brent or another area in the UK, like care assessment reports, letters from the Council on headed paper, letters from a Social Worker


Varying a visa late

  1. Proof you were working and did not earn enough money to pay the fees and all your living expenses
  2. Proof you were seriously ill and not well enough to renew your visa on time
  3. Proof you were caring for a family member in the UK when they were seriously ill or died at the time you were supposed to renew your visa


Find a local adviser


Not found what you need?

Back to Immigration and Asylum

  • Please do not use this feedback section to submit an advice query. It will not be seen by an adviser.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Copyright © Brent Advice Matters, 2020. All rights reserved.