Immigration and Asylum

What you can find help with here

On these pages we tell you about some of your rights to be in the UK and how to use your rights to sort out some common problems.

Knowing your rights means you can take action to help sort out problems yourself.

But immigration law is complicated and changes over time. Get advice if you do not find what you need here.


What happens if I break immigration rules?

Many immigration and asylum problems happen because people do not know they have broken an immigration rule. You need to know what might happen if you break immigration rules.

  1. If you do not have Indefinite Leave to Remain or Discretionary Leave to Remain in the UK you do not have Government permission to be in the UK.
  2. If you do not have permission to be in the UK right now you are an ‘over-stayer’. Over-staying breaks immigration rules and is a criminal offence. You are at risk of being arrested and deported.
  3. If you are arrested as an over-stayer you might not get legal aid to help you. You might have to pay a solicitor to help you.
  4. If you have a sentence from a UK court of 12 months or more, or if you have 2 or more sentences from a UK court you are automatically at risk of being deported.



Choose from 1 of the 6 options below

Option 1 – I want to stay permanently in the UK

Option 2 – I want to stay longer in the UK

Option 3 – I want to become a British citizen

Option 4 – I want to register a child as a British citizen

Option 5 – I want to claim asylum

Option 6 – I need an accredited immigration adviser

  • Please do not use this feedback section to submit an advice query. It will not be seen by an adviser.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Copyright © Brent Advice Matters, 2020. All rights reserved.