Standards in a health and care service

You have a right to high quality health and social care services. Know your rights and what the standards should be.

The Care Quality Commission

The Care Quality Commission – the CQC – sets the standards for all organisations that give health and social care services:

  • ambulances, and
  • care homes, and
  • clinics, and
  • community-based services, and
  • dentists, and
  • GPs and doctors, and
  • hospitals, and
  • in-your-own-home care services, and
  • mental health services.

Care Home standards

CQC – standards for care homes: Audio

Dentists standards

CQC – standards for dentists: Easy Read

CQC – standards for dentists: Audio

GP standards

CQC – standards for GPs: Audio

Hospital standards

CQC – standards for hospitals: Easy Read

CQC – standards for hospitals: Audio

In-your-own-home standards

CQC – standards for care in your own home: Easy Read

CQC – standards for care in your own home: Audio

Different languages

The same leaflets are in these languages:

  • Bengali বাঙালি
  • Chinese 中国
  • Gujarat ગુજરાત
  • Polish Polskie
  • Punjabi ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਦੇ
  • Urdu اردو

CQC – standards in different languages

British Sign Language

CQC – videos in British Sign Language about standards


How to complain

How you complain is different depending on whether the service is from:

  • a public organisation, or
  • a private or charity organisation.


Public health and social care organisations

  1. The National Health Service (NHS). All services are free from NHS hospitals and clinics, but you might have to pay for services from NHS dentist
  2. Brent Clinical Commissioning Group (Brent CCG). Brent CCG organises the services you get from your GP and some Walk-In Centre clinics. All services from your GP are free. Some services from Walk-In Centres are free.
  3. Brent Council. Brent Council organises adult social care and children’s social care services. You might have to pay for some adult social care services.


Private and charity organisations

Private or charities can provide health and social care services too. You have to pay for many services from private companies or charities. Pharmacies on the high street, Walk-In Centres, hospitals and clinics can all be private companies. Ask about the cost of services before you take them.


Choose 1 of the 2 options below

Option 1 How to complain about public service

Option 2 How to complain private or charity service


Not found what you need?

Back to Making a complaint

  • Please do not use this feedback section to submit an advice query. It will not be seen by an adviser.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Copyright © Brent Advice Matters, 2020. All rights reserved.