Misconduct in a health or care service

‘Misconduct’ means someone employed by a health or social care service has behaved badly to you or someone they are caring for while doing their job, and the behaviour is below the professional standard.

It can be things like:

  • insults, physical abuse or inappropriate touching
  • being told a lie or not the whole truth, or
  • managing your medical records badly
  • pretending they are qualified when they are not

NHS Choices – professional misconduct


How to complain

How you complain is different depending on whether the service is from:

  • a public organisation, or
  • a private or charity organisation.


Public health and social care organisations

  • The National Health Service (NHS). All services are free from NHS hospitals and clinics, but you might have to pay for services from NHS dentist
  • Brent Clinical Commissioning Group (Brent CCG). Brent CCG organises the services you get from your GP and some Walk-In Centre clinics. All services from your GP are free. Some services from Walk-In Centres are free.
  • Brent Council. Brent Council organises adult social care and children’s social care services. You might have to pay for some adult social care services.

Private and charity organisations

Private or charities can provide health and social care services too. You have to pay for many services from private companies or charities. Pharmacies on the high street, Walk-In Centres, hospitals and clinics can all be private companies. Ask about the cost of services before you take them.


Choose 1 of the 2 options below

Option 1 How to complain about public service

Option 2 How to complain about a private or charity service


Not found what you need?

Back to Making a complaint

  • Please do not use this feedback section to submit an advice query. It will not be seen by an adviser.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Copyright © Brent Advice Matters, 2020. All rights reserved.